Our body is constantly exposed to germs and toxins. Our mouth is the gateway for many germs, micro-organisms and toxins to enter our system. Pathogens in our mouth can enter your bloodstream to circulate to other parts of the body. Therefore, it is very important to keep our mouths germ free for a healthy body.
Oil Pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that has been used as a great tool for detoxification. Oil pulling is the act of swishing oil (usually Sesame or Coconut) in the mouth for up to 20 minutes, preferably in the morning.
It is believed that this practice reduces bacterial growth in your mouth, strengthens your teeth and reduces inflammation in your gums.
Besides brushing and flossing twice a day, I have been doing oil pulling with Coconut oil for the last couple of years and have observed many health benefits like whiter teeth, better immunity and overall health.
Oil pulling has been shown to reduce the number of Streptococcus Mutans bacteria in the mouth, especially when done with coconut oil. There are 17 different studies done on oil pulling with similar results.
The process of oil pulling is very simple but it takes time, effort and commitment to make it a habit.
To get started, you need Raw, organic coconut oil
1. First thing in the morning before you brush your teeth or drink anything – take a tablespoon of coconut oil and put it in your mouth
2. Gently swish it in your mouth and between your teeth for 10–20 minutes
3. Spit out the oil in the trash (not the sink so it doesn’t clog up the plumbing) and immediately rinse your mouth out with warm water
4. There – you are done.
Here are some of the strategies that have worked for some people to adapt this practice:
– In the morning when I am packing my kids lunches and preparing breakfast, that is the time when I oil pull. There are no distractions and I love the quiet me time.
– You can do it when you are in the shower – 10 minutes go by really quickly
– Start doing it 3-5 times a week. I promise once you start doing it, you would want to do it every day. The squeaky, clean mouth feeling that you get after oil pulling is very pleasant.
– It will be hard at first so try with small quantity of oil and increase the amount as you get comfortable with the process.
– Most important – don’t spit it out in sink or toilet. It can clog the pipes. Always do it in a trash can.
This unbelievably effective procedure has been used for centuries as a traditional India remedy to:
• Treat tooth decay
• Kill bad breath
• Heal bleeding gums
• Prevent heart disease
• Reduce inflammation
• Whiten teeth
• Soothe throat dryness
• Prevent cavities
• Heal cracked lips
• Boost the immune system
• Improve acne
• Strengthen gums and jaws
Try this simple technique to get a beautiful smile!